Welcome to Who? What? Where? When? Why? on the World Wide Web. Your comments, criticism and suggestions: editors#8w.forix.com (replace # with @).
8W is forix.autosport.com's motorsport history section and covers the drivers, cars, circuits, eras and technology that shaped the face, sounds and smells of motor racing.

Phi-Phi's hat trick



Related articles


Philippe Étancelin


Bugatti T35C


Monte Carlo


1930 Monaco Grand Prix (6 April 1930)


In a way Étancelin was 70 years before his time. His trademark was to have his cap turned back to front and even when helmets became compulsory in the 50s Étancelin continued with the habit. He wore the cap over the helmet!

Philippe Étancelin was born in Rouen, 28 December 1896. Known to his friends as "Phi-Phi" he started racing in 1926 entering a Bugatti in French hill climbs and speed trials. In 1927 he started circuit racing and achieved his first major victory at the Grand Prix de la Marne at Reims and followed it up with a third place at the Coppa Florio at St. Briac. He did not race in 1928 but in 1929 he made a successful comeback, again winning the Marne Grand Prix and also proving victorious at the Comminges, La Baule and Antibes GPs.

The car Étancelin raced, the Bugatti T35C, belonged to the T35 Bugatti family and was built on more or less the same chassis that had first been introduced at Lyons 1924. The T35C was a supercharged 2-litre model equipped with a Roots compressor to give some 125 bhp. Here is a list of the various Bugatti variants:

The original 1924 model:
Type 35: 60*88 mm = 1991cc

The 1925-'26 model:
Type 35: 52*88 mm = 1495cc

The voiturette model:
Type 35: 51.3*66 mm = 1091cc

The detuned production model known as the "Tecla":
Type 35A: 60*88 mm = 1991cc

The long stroke 2.3 litre "Targa Florio" model:
Type 35T: 60*100 mm = 2262cc

The supercharged variant of the 35T model:
Type 35B: 60*100 mm = 2262cc supercharged

The 2-litre supercharged model:
Type 35C: 60*88 mm = 1991cc supercharged

The 4-cylinder engine model:
Type 37: 69*100 mm = 1496cc 4 cylinder

The supercharged variant of T37:
Type 37A: 69*100 mm = 1496cc supercharged 4 cylinder

The short-stroke model:
Type 39: 60*66 mm = 1493cc

The supercharged variant of T39:
Type 39A: 60*66 mm = 1493cc supercharged

The d.o.c. 2 valves/cyl model:
Type 51: 60*88 mm = 1991cc supercharged

The long-stroke variant of the d.o.c. T51:
Type 51-1: 60*100 mm = 2262cc supercharged

The short-stroke variant of the d.o.c. T51:
Type 51A: 60*66 mm = 1493cc supercharged

(All with 8-cylinder engines unless noted otherwise)

The first major race of the 1930 season was the Monaco Grand Prix on April 6. This was only the second Grand Prix to be raced on the track, "Williams" having won the first Monaco GP the year before. There were 18 entries including 12 Bugattis and two Maseratis. The 2.3 litre Bugatti T35Bs were raced by René Dreyfus, Marcel Lehoux, Italian driver Zehender, Chilean driver Zanelli and Belgian driver Bouriano. The 2-litre T35Cs were raced by works drivers Chiron, "Williams" and Bouriat and privateers Étancelin, Stuber and Burggaller. Michel Doré had a 1.5-litre Bugatti T37A. Works Maseratis were raced by Borzacchini and Archangeli, the former with the big 4-litre "Sedici Cilindri", not exactly an ideal car for Monaco, and the latter in a 2-litre Tipo 26B. The rest of the field consisted of Stuck's Austro-Daimler, Biondetti's Talbot, Bobby Bowes' Frazer Nash and finally Count Max d'Arco in a Mercedes SSK, a car even less suitable for the Monaco track than the Maserati 16-cylinder machine.

This was the era before qualifying for positions and the ballot put Borzacchini, Bowes and "Williams" in the front row. However British gentleman driver Bowes had already come to the conclusion that Grand Prix racing wasn't for him after all and became a non-starter. The race turned into a duel between the Bugatti drivers. Borzacchini held fourth place for some time before both he and Archangeli had to retire because of technical troubles. Chiron dominated the race to the cheers of the home crowd until lap 83 when he had to made a lengthy pit stop to change plugs. The Bugatti team was unaware that the rather unknown privateer René Dreyfus had added an extra tank to his Bugatti and was on a non-stop strategy. Now Dreyfus managed to close in on the leader and as Chiron continued to have problems with a jammed pedal the French privateer passed the works car with 10 laps to go and went on to take a sensational victory, 21.8 seconds in front of Chiron. All six finishers were racing Bugattis, Étancelin wasn't among them, however.

In 1930 Étancelin instead won the handicap Algerian GP race and Circuit de Dauphine in Grenoble but his greatest achievement that year was the victory in the French Grand Prix at Pau.

For 1931 several privateers bought the new Bugatti T51 but Étancelin preferred to wait for the Alfa Romeo "Monza" to arrive. In the meantime he raced his Bugatti T35C together with his old friend and rival Marcel Lehoux in the 10-hour Formula Libre races of the era. He showed great form at the Italian and French GPs before having to retire. Once he received the new "Monza" he went on to beat the Bugattis, winning the Marne, Circuit de Dauphine and the Comminges GP at St. Gaudens.

The end of the 1931 season had been a triumph but with the world economy in serious trouble and no places available in the works teams Étancelin had to continue as privateer in 1932. His only victory that year was the Grand Prix de Picardie at Péronne. Next year proved more successful as he again was victorious in Péronne and also in the Marne Grand Prix. He finished second in the Nimes GP and was after a great fight beaten by Campari's Maserati at the French Grand Prix.

For the 1934 750kg formula Étancelin bought one of the 1933 3-litre Maserati 8CMs and had to make some rebuilding to make it comply with the new minimum width requirement. With that car he won the Dieppe Grand Prix and was second in the Casablanca, Montreux and Nice GPs. Together with Luigi Chinetti he also took a victory at the Le Mans 24h race in an Alfa Romeo.

In 1935 Étancelin joined Scuderia Subalpina racing a Maserati 6C-34, but his best result was only a 4th place at Monaco. At the Marne GP the Maserati V-8RI made its debut in the hands of Étancelin. He continued to race that car in 1936 but except for a victory at the Pau Grand Prix the season was without success.

After a temporary retirement "Phi-Phi" was back in 1938, racing for Anthony Lago's Talbot team. He managed to finish third at the 1939 Pau GP, outclassed by the Mercedes-Benz duo of Lang and von Brauchitsch, and he was fourth at the French GP, this time beaten by Müller's and Meier's Auto Unions and his own team mate Le Bčgue.

Étancelin took part in the first post-war race, the 1946 Coupe des Prisonniers, in which he raced an Alfa Romeo. In 1948 he was able to buy a Talbot-Lago T26C and with it he was second at Albi and in 1949 he won the Grand Prix de Paris and was second at Marseilles, Monza and Brno. At the beginning of the World Championship in 1950 Étancelin was already 53 years old but he still continued. He took part in 12 Formula 1 Championship races, achieving 3 points in 1950 from finishing 5th at Reims (shared drive) and Monza. With the new GP rules for 1952 his Talbot-Lago was no longer usable for the championship races and Étancelin did not compete so often. He finally retired after the 1953 season.

He continued to show his interest in the sport appearing occasionally in the pits of the GPs or at historic car races. One of his last appearances was at Monaco where he was invited into the seat of the Turbo Renault. Étancelin died on 13 October 1981 at the age of 84.

Reader's Why by Hans Etzrodt

In the years when crash helmets were not mandatory, Étancelin was easily recognizable because he did not wear a racing cap or hood but a regular tweed cap worn back to front as had been the fashionable headgear during the twenties. Étancelin was the archetype of the private driver, an independent, on few occasions supported by the factory, but he never drove in an official works team. He was good, successful, not the fastest but he had won the 1930 French GP at Pau for Grand Prix cars, won the 24 hours of Le Mans in 1934 and when 54, he still came second in the 1951 Dutch GP at Zandvoort. At the age of 56, he drove his last race flawlessly at Rouen in an outdated Talbot, beating a faster Ferrari to third place.

He remained very popular in France where he was called "Phi-Phi", an abbreviation of his first name. Étancelin, a true gentleman driver, was born 28 December 1896 in Rouen where he grew up. He had an estate, imported bed springs and was also in the wool business, which made it possible for him in 1926 to purchase a Bugatti T35A, chassis number 4630, participating in seven minor events. He went racing with his two mechanics and wife Suzanne-Caroline managing his pit. His second car was another Bugatti T35, chassis number 3797, in which he came first in the Marne GP on 10 July 1927. This victory established him as a Grand Prix driver. With the same car, he came third overall and first in the 2-litre class at the Coppa Florio in St. Brienc on the 17 July. At the first Grand Prix Bugatti, a handicap race in June 1928, he won with his T35 and the following month at the Marne GP, he had to retire on lap 28. In March of 1929, he won the GP du Conseil Général at Antibes with his trusted T35 from 1927. The next day, at the Antibes GP he came third with a bad rear axle and a sixth place later in April at the Monaco GP with his old T35. In June he bought his third Bugatti, a T35C, chassis number 4940. The following month he came first in the Marne GP, fifth at the San Sebastian GP after an accident, while in third position. In August he won the Comminges GP at St. Gaudens and the GP de La Baule, where he established a new lap record. He finished the year 1929 in November with a fourth place at the Tunis GP at Carthage. In March 1930, he bought himself his fourth Bugatti, another T35C, chassis number 4945, and his first race with this new car was on April 6 in Monaco. So, let's go with him to Monte Carlo, the race where our 8W picture shows him in the Station Hairpin.

The warm April sun had lured thousands to the French Riviera and to Monaco, site of the first major Grand Prix in 1930. For the first time a totalizator and bookies for pari-mutuel betting were introduced. The betting booths were opened one week before the race. They were everywhere. One could place money on a driver. The Monegasque, Louis Chiron, was the favourite because he was already an established champion and lead driver of the factory Bugatti team. Dreyfus, from nearby Nice was also well known and many wagers were placed on him as well. On the day of the race, after the start, bets could be made until lap 40. The loafers of the world and the public of the gambling casinos, who had their meeting place here in Monte Carlo, had their sensation. They had come to watch the wildest race in the world over 100 laps on the 3.180 km long street circuit through the principality of Monaco. The course began in the harbor in front of the grandstands on Boulevard Albert Premier, then through St. Dévote Corner up the hill towards the Casino, and in a curvy downhill section past the train station to the sea front. After the tunnel followed the only more or less straight stretch along the quay through the chicane. Next was the left hand Tabac Corner leading to the right hand Gasometer Hairpin. Behind this were the pits with the start and finish. With ten real corners per lap, it was a true test for brakes and engines. Dangers lurked everywhere. Just feet from the circuit's curbs were house walls, concrete posts, tunnel walls, and the cliff edge into the sea. All dangerous sections were protected with sand bags to avoid serious accidents.

About the prizes, Monte Carlo was not to be ridiculed. The overall victor was to be presented with a valuable trophy, the prize of the Prince of Monaco, and 100,000 Francs, as well as a precious trophy donated by the hotel association of Monte Carlo. From second place down the rewards were 40,000, 30,000, 20,000 10,000 and 5,000 Francs. The entries were divided into five classes, from 1.1 to 8.0-litre. The winners in the two smallest categories were to receive 20,000 Francs each. There were 1000 Francs for the drivers, who led in their class every tenth lap. This would make it possible for a driver, who led his class the entire race, to win 10,000 Francs. For breaking the lap record, there was a 3,000 Franc prize. The entry fee of 2,000 Francs was to be returned at the start of the car. A week before the race, seating tickets for 200 Francs were sold out. Only a few in the grandstand for 1,000 Francs were still available.

The ACM (l'Automobile Club de Monaco) decided not to run the race to the 1930 fuel consumption formula, which restricted the maximum consumption to14kg fuel and oil per 100km and permitted up to 30% benzol mixed with commercial fuel. There was no limit to engine capacity, the cars had to have a minimum weight of 900kg, a two-seater body with minimum width of 100cm, but driving mechanics were not allowed. Two mechanics in addition to the driver were permitted to assist at pit stops and the minimum race distance was 600km. The ACM closing date for entries was 6 March. Of the 40 registrations received, only 24 were accepted. It was odd that two big names did not appear on this list of 24, namely Achille Varzi and Tazio Nuvolari. The reason for that was unknown. Most probably they were practicing for the upcoming Mille Miglia on 12-13 April. Of the 24 entries accepted by the ACM, seven did not make the start. Edmund Bourlier was the first one to cancel one week before the race. The Talbot he planned to drive was the one in which Brilli-Peri had been killed two weeks before at Tripoli. There just was not enough time for the needed repairs and shipping the Talbot back from Africa. Another car of this type was not available. The Austrian Emil Frankl in a Steyr and Velickovic from Serbia (Yugoslavia) in a 1.5-litre Bugatti did not show up. The two Alfa Romeo P2s for Enzo Ferrari and Giuseppe Campari did not make the race because these cars were still being modified at the factory. Bobby Bowes from England with a 1.5-litre Frazer-Nash replaced Malcolm Campbell with his 1927 Delage, who originally had been on the list of 24. However, Bowes was too slow in practice and therefore not permitted to race. The last driver not making the start was Rudolf Caracciola with his heavy 7.1-litre Mercedes-Benz SSK. When the German received the ACM invitation for the race, he had at first sent a negative reply. Then in the early part of March he agreed to attend. The latest report was that Caracciola called off his start at the last moment. Why exactly he did so could not be established, but his action caused a considerable wonder. Supposedly the reason was that he wished to concentrate fully on the Mille Miglia the following weekend. There were other suggestions. One was that he would start against Louis Chiron but not Hans Stuck. Another opinion was that the heavy sportscar stood no chance against the thoroughbred Grand Prix cars from Bugatti. However, even Daimler-Benz had repeatedly pointed out this fact in the past. Finally, the account that Caracciola was not allowed to start because the car was not safe or not suited for the circuit, was not convincing at all since Count Arco's 7.1-litre SSK was allowed.

The Molsheim factory with Louis Chiron, "Williams"and Guy Bouriat, entered three T35C 2-litre works Bugattis instead of the more powerful T35B 2.3-litre cars. The reason given was that the T35C was easier to handle on the winding circuit. This did not make much sense since the chassis was the same. The only difference was about 15 more horsepower for the T35B and higher fuel consumption. Nine additional Bugattis were at the start, all private entries. The Frenchman Philippe Étancelin and the Swiss mountain champion Hans Stuber had T35C 2-litre Bugattis. René Dreyfus came with his T35B 2.3-litre Bugatti from nearby Nice. On March 2 he had won at St. Raphael and three weeks later at La Turbie, breaking Bergkönig Hans Stuck's record from the year before. These two victories had filled Dreyfus with confidence and the knowledge that he could win races with his newly acquired T35B. He had his car prepared by Ernest Friderich, the Bugatti dealer in Nice, who had good connections with the factory and sold René the T35B, a 1929 works model. Dreyfus had an additional small fuel tank installed, which was fitted under the empty passenger seat. This tank would hold just enough fuel to complete the 100-lap race and would save time by eliminating the usual necessary stop for fuel. After scrutineering had taken place, his modifications were no longer a secret and the Bugatti works team was amused about his changes to the car. The other four T35B Bugattis were driven by Geoffredo Zehender, the Chilean Juan Zanelli, the Algerian Marcel Lehoux and the Belgian Georges Bouriano. The Frenchman Michel Doré, who came eighth in last year's race and the German Ernst Günther Burggaller drove their T37A 1.5-litre Bugattis. The Maserati works team entered the Italians Luigi Arcangeli and Baconin Borzacchini in 2.0-litre Maserati 26B's. Clemente Biondetti, another Italian, started with a Scuderia Materassi 1.5-litre Talbot. The best German was Hans Stuck, who already had won two small races at the French Riviera near Cannes on 30 March. His 3.0-litre Austro Daimler ADM was not really suited for this long race because the car was primarily used for short mountain races. From Austria came the young Count, Max Arco von Zinneberg, driving a huge 7.1-litre Mercedes-Benz SSK.

In the early morning hours on race Sunday the people came pouring to the circuit. The mountain slopes were lined with colorful clusters of spectators. On the grandstands, the terraces and roofs of the hotels, which lined the race circuit with their palace-like buildings, throngs of spectators had assembled to watch this spectacle. The pari-mutuel betting booths had been surrounded since early morning. The drawing of lots before practice had produced a 20-car starting grid, publicized by the organizers. On the day of the race this was changed, however. Since Bowes in row one, Ferrari in row three, and Frankl in row four were not to take part, all cars, except Williams in first place, moved forward from right to left to fill the empty spaces. The final starting grid had Williams (Bugatti) at the front left, to his right Borzacchini (Maserati) and Stuber (Bugatti) completing the first row. Then followed six Bugattis of Bouriat, Chiron and Zanelli in row two and behind them Lehoux, Zehender and Doré. In row four were Dreyfus (Bugatti), Arcangeli (Maserati) and Étancelin (Bugatti). Row five was formed by Biondetti (Talbot), Stuck (Austro Daimler) and Arco (Mercedes-Benz). The last row had Bouriano and Burggaller, both in Bugattis.

At 1:07 p.m. the flag went down and Chiron immediately took the lead, followed by Williams and Bouriat, completing the first lap in 2m21s. Count Arco was the first to retire on lap two. While driving through the tunnel, a stone, kicked up by a car ahead, smashed his goggles. The Austrian was able to bring the heavy Mercedes out of the tunnel, but once outside the half-blinded driver hit the wall. The car's damage was too great to continue and Count Arco walked away with a slight injury above the eye. Chiron broke the lap record on lap two with 2m13s and pulled away from Williams and Bouriat. After three laps, the order was Chiron, Williams, Bouriat, Stuber, Borzacchini, Zanelli, Zehender, Dreyfus, Lehoux and Stuck. Behind the leading three, a continuing battle developed with lots of action. Bouriano had established a new lap record at 2m11s and thereafter he had a collision with the sandbags at the chicane. After pushing his car and losing four laps, he then joined the race again with a damaged steering. Then Borzacchini in the Maserati passed fourth man Stuber. Williams in second place, slowed down at the same time. Bouriat and Borzacchini went past him and the Maserati was now third. Williams stopped for a short moment at the Bugatti pit on lap seven. Borzacchini also had to make a quick stop, the beginning of more problems to follow. After ten laps, Chiron was 42 seconds ahead of Bouriat with Borzacchini right behind him, next came the trio Stuber, Zanelli and Dreyfus. Zehender was seventh, followed by Lehoux, Etancelin, Stuck, Buggaller, Doré, Arcangeli, Biondetti, Williams and Bouriano last.

When Borzacchini made two more stops to check his Maserati's brake drum problems, the Italian dropped towards the end of the field. He then tried to pass one of the Bugattis on lap 14 and misjudging his speed for the turn, he hit a wall. His damaged car remained there for the rest of the race. Arcangeli later stopped on the circuit to give the stranded Borzacchini, his teammate, a ride back to their hotel along the circuit. On lap 15, Bouriano retired his Bugatti with the damaged steering from his earlier collision and Biondetti did likewise after mechanical problems with his Talbot. Dreyfus had passed Stuber and Zanelli and had moved to third place by the end of lap 16. The first seven cars were Bugattis. After 20 laps Chiron led Bouriat by 87 seconds with a five second gap to Dreyfus, now in third place. Then came the fighting duo of Zanelli and Stuber, followed by another pair of Zehender and Lehoux, 2m12s behind Chiron, shortly to be lapped. Étancelin, Stuck, Burggaller, Doré, Arcangeli and Williams brought up the tail, already one lap behind.

Stuck lost almost two laps due to trouble with his automatic ignition timing. Arcangeli stopped his Maserati with differential trouble on lap 30. On the same lap Williams retired his Bugatti with mechanical problems down at the harbor. Chiron lapped now consistently between 2m10s and 2m11s, pulling away from the field. Dreyfus lapped at the same speed, when he caught up with Bouriat and passed him at the end of lap 30 for second place. After Stuck retired with a slipping clutch at the pits on lap 32, it became a race between the ten Bugattis left. After 40 laps the order behind Chiron was Dreyfus, Bouriat, Stuber, Zanelli, Étancelin, Lehoux, Zehender, Doré and Burggaller.

The public had been able to place wagers during the race, but after 40 laps the pari-mutuel betting ended. Everyone was convinced that Chiron was a sure winner and Dreyfus would place somewhere in front. Except for Lehoux, the situation had not changed very much at halftime, after completion of 50 laps, with ten Bugattis left in the race.

  1. Chiron, 1h50m22s
  2. Dreyfus, 1h52m13s
  3. Bouriat, 1h53m02s
  4. Zanelli, 1h53m38s
  5. Stuber, 1h53m44s
  6. Étancelin, 1h54m25s
  7. Zehender, 1h55m25s
  8. Doré, 5 laps back
  9. Burggaller, 6 laps back
  10. Lehoux, 6 laps back

After Lehoux had completed 47 laps, he retired with rear axle problems. Dreyfus was now able to reduce the distance between himself and Chiron, but the Monegasque responded with faster lap speeds. On lap 55, Chiron broke Bouriano's lap record by doing a 2m09s lap. The duel between Chiron and Dreyfus continued with the private driver from Nice steadily gaining on the champion driver from Monaco. After 56 laps, Dreyfus was only 1m13s behind the leader. Étancelin retired his Bugatti after 60 laps with fuel pipe problems. The first-rate Doré led the 1.5-liter class and Burggaller was second, one lap behind. The German almost did not make start. When transporting the racing car, his mechanic, through no fault of his own, had an accident with a bicycle driver who was carrying a child on the handle bar. Although nothing happened to either of them, the driver was arrested and the car confiscated. Only after depositing 20,000 Francs and through assurance of the ACM, was the racing car released in the last hour. Therefore, Burggaller had started without any training and no knowledge of the circuit. The German's race ended on lap 63 with engine trouble. After 70 laps, the field had shrunk to seven cars. Chiron led Dreyfus by 1m18s, Bouriat by 3m52s, Zanelli by 5m37s, Zehender by 6m54s, Stuber by 16m15s and Doré by 20m01s.

Dreyfus continued to make up time and Chiron answered with fast laps, establishing with 2m08s a new lap record on lap 72. But Dreyfus kept pushing, knowing that the Monegasque still had to stop for fuel. After lap 80, Chiron's pit workers began to signal him and he stopped to refuel on lap 83, losing 50 seconds. Only ten seconds later, after he had left his pits, Dreyfus came by at top speed. By now word had gotten around that the young driver from Nice was not going to stop for fuel since no preparations for a pit visit were made at his depot. Dreyfus could now see the leader ahead of him. Knowing that he could catch up inspired him to increase his pace and with every lap he came several seconds closer. At the same time Chiron was shown pit signals that Dreyfus was closing. The leader had developed problems with his accelerator and was losing time. This was noticeable instantly also to Dreyfus when Chiron accelerated out of the Gasometer hairpin. Now Dreyfus mercilessly pressed on and Chiron became so frustrated with his situation that he felt his crash helmet was bothering him. He jerked it off and tossed it away, while speeding up the ramp to the Casino. Dreyfus was able to take the lead on lap 85 and passed the grandstands, three-car length ahead of Chiron. On lap 88, Dreyfus broke Chiron's record with a 2m07s lap at 90.142 km/h, taking possession of the 3,000 Francs award. After 90 laps, Dreyfus was leading Chiron by two seconds; Bouriat in third place was 6m42s behind the leader, followed by Zanelli, Zehender and Stuber.

The close struggle between Dreyfus and Chiron continued and kept everybody on their toes. As much as Chiron tried, he was not able to keep up with Dreyfus since the throttle stop was now broken off. The slight power advantage of the stronger Type 37B may have helped the inspired amateur from Nice as well. Dreyfus had begun to experience visual problems because his goggles had become so dirty with soot and oil spray that he could see clearly only directly ahead. This was the disadvantage of not stopping at the pits to clean goggles. By now his palms were blistered, bloody, and painful from the long race. On lap 95, Dreyfus was 10 seconds ahead of Chiron. At this time Zanelli retired after completing 92 laps. After 100 laps, victory went to Dreyfus, who took 3h41m02.6s for the 318 km at an average of 86.318 km/h, beating Williams' race record of 84.802km/h from the year before. A disappointed Chiron finished 22 seconds later. Because the other four cars were already lapped several times, they had to race on in order to complete the full distance of 100 laps. Bouriat came third, followed by Zehender and Doré. Stuber's Bugatti had developed carburetor problems and was flagged off with only 94 laps to his credit.

The race had shown how good the racing cars were which the Molsheim factory sold to their customers and that a well-prepared customer car was equal to the factory car. This first major Grand Prix win for René Dreyfus established him as a desirable driver for race promoters. From now on he was getting paid starting money to appear at races. Chiron, however, was not happy about the outcome of the race. He did not even talk to the winner as they walked to the grandstand to receive trophy and flowers from Prince Louis II. Ettore Bugatti was also upset that a private driver had dared to beat his works driver. To defeat the Bugatti factory team was for Dreyfus quite an accomplishment, a dream cherished by most private drivers. He won a total of over 300,000 Francs. The Bugatti factory team had not only lost a lot of prestige and money, but since the fuel, tire and brake companies were different, it affected the factory suppliers' ability to advertise. Dreyfus used Dunlop tires, Champion spark plugs, and Mobil oil. The Bugatti factory operated with Michelin tires, KLG spark plugs, and Esso oil.

The Totalizator paid for the victory of Dreyfus 74:10, on place 21:10, for Chiron on place 38:10, for Bouriat on place 46:10. The entire amount collected at the Totalizator was 386,550 Francs of which the winner received 1.2% and the second 0.6%. Regrettably turmoil had broken out after the race, including fights at the betting booths. Many gamblers had doubts and were convinced that the race had been fixed. They believed that the plan was for Chiron to lead until lap 40, when pari-mutuel betting ended. Then Dreyfus was to take over and win the race, as long as a Bugatti won. They thought about the good fortune of those gamblers who were in on the plot with Dreyfus and his team. After this episode, there were no more bets of this kind to be seen in Monte Carlo.